Monday, February 25, 2008

Working mom vent

This post will be a pretty negative griping vent. If you're not in the mood to read gripes, you'll want to click that x in the top right hand corner.

I am a working mom. It's not my ideal situation, but I make the best of it. I try extremely hard to be involved with Madison's school activities and make sure she goes to all the activities outside school hours. For those, I usually have to make arrangements to switch my hours around at work. No biggie. Today, however, pissed me off. I get off work at 5:30 and then rush to get my kids picked up by about 6:15 get them home, fed, washed, read to and any homework done by 8:00. I do this all on my own. Well today as I was leaving work, I noticed some text messages from my sister (she watches my kids on Mondays) saying that Madison brought home a flyer about a Movie Night at the school and it started at 6:00 and she was SOOOO excited and that I might want to try to get off early. Well needless to say I felt really bad that I hadn't checked my phone. I called and talked to Madison and told her we wouldn't be able to make Movie Night, and she was SO UPSET. So I hurried to pick them up and we arrived at the school at 6:30, of course there were no spots left for us to sit. So we sat at the back of the gym, couldnt see or hear. Madison got a drink and another kid knocked it over and she was upset. I felt bad that I had to work, that they didn't notify me sooner, and that her high hopes of Movie Night were crushed. Maybe I'm being a little too sensitive to the issue but it really irritated me that whoever was in charge didn't stop to think about people who work outside of the home, and who might not even get the silly flyer until movie night was over! So to all you women in the PTA, I beg you to please consider us working moms and give us some notice!!!!! Rant over.

1 comments:

rachel demartin said...

ah brooke, you are so brave. i remember my mom's stories about working & her babies crying every day she left them. i'm sorry about those pta mom's...if i ever do that stuff, i'll think of you. dummies.